Whether you’re suffering from hot flashes due to menopause or live in an area with sweltering heat and high humidity, keeping your makeup on can be a major struggle. Sweat is the quickest way to ruin makeup, so much so that some have abandoned makeup altogether! But…there are those of us that enjoy the art of makeup (yours truly included) and are not ready to raise the white flag!
If you’re looking for a makeup routine that will stay put, it may be just a matter of changing up your products or application technique. I’ve compiled a list of tips based on personal experience and research.
- While the market may be flooded with ‘waterproof’ products, use them sparingly. Waterproof products can clog pores and cause breakouts, not to mention they can be a bear to remove!
- If you love your waterproof products, adjust your technique. Work quickly. Waterproof products around the eyes such as eyeliner are great, just find your balance.
- Switch to water-based skin care products and allow them to absorb into your skin between layers. Heavy skin care formulas are great for dry, colder climates but not so great in the heat.
- Don’t skip primer! If you’re using a water based foundation, make sure your primer is water based. Mixing a silicone based primer with a water based foundation is a recipe for makeup disaster.
- When it comes to foundations and concealers, use lighter formulas. Heavy foundation is bound to slide right off your face at the first sign of sweat.
- Skip powder blush. When we reach a certain maturity level, powder products are not our friend. Go for a cream blush or stain.
- If you absolutely have to have your powder, make sure it’s finely milled and apply in the T-Zone. Laura Mercier and Kevyn Aucoin offer some great options.
- Setting spray, setting spray, setting spray. These are typically formulated for all skin types. My absolute fav is the Melanie Mills Super Light setting spray . It’s a dry aerosol spray and feels like nothing on your skin but man does it lock in the makeup!
- And drink plenty of H2O. I am the #1 culprit of not drinking enough water. There are some really helpful apps you can download to your phone to help track your intake. Water is your skin’s best friend.
Now that you have all the secrets to sweat-proofing your makeup, go pop on some color and rock your bad self this summer.
Did you find these tips helpful? Message me, I would love to hear your feedback.